What are Brogues?
Brogues are a type of shoe that have been popular for centuries. They are characterized by a low-cut design, with a decorative pattern of perforations along the toe of the shoe. Brogues can be found in a variety of colors and materials, from leather to canvas, and are often seen as a smart and stylish choice for formal occasions. They are also popular in casual settings, and can be dressed up or down to suit your individual style.
The History of Brogues
Brogues have been around for centuries, with their first use believed to be in Scotland in the 16th century. Originally, they were known as ‘pump shoes’ and were made from thick leather with a thick sole and decorative perforations along the toe. The perforations were originally intended to allow water to drain out of the shoe, and were often seen as a sign of wealth and distinction.
Types of Brogues
Today, there are a number of different styles of Brogues available. These include:
- Oxford Brogues – these are the most formal type of Brogues, usually made from leather and featuring a closed lacing system. They are usually seen as a smart choice for formal occasions.
- Derby Brogues – these have a similar design to Oxford Brogues, but feature an open lacing system. They are often seen as a more casual choice.
- Wingtip Brogues – these are a more decorative style of Brogues, featuring a ‘wingtip’ design along the toe of the shoe. They are often seen as a stylish choice for formal occasions.
- Ghillie Brogues – these are a traditional style of Brogues, with a long lacing system and a thick sole. They are often seen as a casual choice.
- Saddle Brogues – these are a more modern style of Brogues, with a distinctive ‘saddle’ design along the toe. They are often seen as a stylish choice for formal occasions.
How to Wear Brogues
Brogues can be dressed up or down, depending on the occasion. For a smart, formal look, pair Oxford or Wingtip Brogues with a suit or tailored trousers. For a more casual look, pair Derby or Ghillie Brogues with jeans or chinos. Saddle Brogues can be dressed up or down, depending on the occasion.
Caring for Your Brogues
It is important to look after your Brogues to ensure they last for years to come. To keep them looking their best, it is important to wipe them down after each wear and apply a leather conditioner regularly. It is also important to store them in a cool, dry place and avoid exposing them to direct sunlight.
Brogues: The Ultimate Footwear Choice
Brogues are a timeless and versatile choice of footwear. With a range of styles and colors to choose from, they can be dressed up or down to suit any occasion. Whether you are looking for a smart, formal look or a more casual style, Brogues are the perfect choice. For more information on caring for your Brogues, check out this guide.